Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Constant

My fondest memories of PawPaw and Grandma has to be the memory of them always being constant, never changing. PawPaw could always rock my problems away as a child and Grandma could always cook them away. I looked so forward to our trips as a child to Lake Charles and I remember crying until I fell asleep on my way back to Houston. 3530 Lisa Lane was my safe place, a place where I knew I was loved and I knew it would always be just as I left it. Grandma and PawPaw were always my constant, no matter what, they were just the way I left them. Welcoming all of us with open arms and big sugars. As an adult, when Lance and I were looking for a new house I wanted a house that was like Grandma and PawPaw's. I wanted to be close to Grandma and PawPaw because Grandma was teaching me how to cook, be a good mother and wife. I wanted a house that everyone felt like they could walk though the back door without knocking, I wanted a house where everyone felt like they could just stop by without calling and a place where everyone felt at home. I found that in my house. I strive to make my home mean to others what 3530 Lisa Lane meant to me. I know it is just an address, just a house. It is just the people in the house that count, but that house, those people made the childhood memories that I hope I can pass to my children, a safe refuge, a magical place they can call home. I thank you Grandma and PawPaw for always having an open door for anyone that needed it, for all of us that needed a place to lay our heads or a shoulder to cry on or a fabulous meal to eat or just a place to kick your shoes off and sit.


Grandma....while you have finally made it home and are at Peace with PawPaw....know that I valued each and every moment we shared...even when you were calling me a Shit Ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment